A little more detail added to Nellie’s backhead…

I have added a little more detail to the back head in the form of some gauge glasses made from strips of 1mm perspex and a couple of dials that I will attach to the cab front once stick it in to the cab. Plus a planked cab floor from coffee stirrers

Nellie’s backhead

My compressor made a bid for freedom and smashed itself to bits on the floor, so the painting of Nellie has stopped while the replacement arrives.

Nearly there with Nellie

Nellie is as complete as I want her to be.

The last details added are Laurie Griffin LNER lamp irons and some nice cast brass vacuum pipes (not sure whose but they are nice).


I have added the rest of the detail to the back head and I also knocked up a brake standard from tube, washers, brass rod and a handrail knob. This is now drying, having been primed along with the crew. The chassis is also drying having been primed too.

I just need to see if my Maskol is still usable for the brass pipework on the back head and that will be primed too. The holes in the floor plate are for the crew and the brake standard once I have put down the wooden floor they will sit on top.

Cab Interior


At the same time as making the lubricators I also made a start on the cab interior. The back head is a Slaters Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway model trimmed to suit. I took about 5mm of the bottom with a razor saw.Next job is to add it details which are nice brass castings.The reversing lever is one that was supplied with my GP Models J63 kit.

I obtained a GCR screw reverser to replace it but more on that when I describe the build.