The A3 moves nearer and nearer the finish line.
The chassis is now painted and lined. -I wasn’t 100% sure that the red line ran all the way along the chassis bottom but in will be lost behind the wheels and weathering. I have only got one cylinder back on at the moment as I need a small soldering job on the other – the link to the middle cylinder came adrift as I dismantled it.
I also learned something that is worth sharing today. I use Ronseal satin hard glaze as my protective coat (the water based version). In the past despite letting it down for spraying with de-ionised water and mixing it well I have problems with blobs appearing. Today I thought that I would try letting it down with Tamiya acrylic thinners. What a difference it made to the quality of finish and the speed with which it dries. I will be trying a similar approach to spraying both matt and gloss varnish to see if it improves that too.
My New Years resolution is still holding firm with shelf queens being worked on and completed.
The next long time inhabitant of my work bench is the Connosseur LNER refrigerator van (Dec 2011). It has been painted for quite some time but I had misplaced the buffers!
Buffers found body weathered by Chris and chassis weathered by me – my very first attempt at weathering.
I had the figure lying about too, I seem to recall it coming with a brake van kit but I struggled to fit him appropriately until I spied the ladder and tried him for size. It does restrict what I ought to do with the wagon – i.e. have it sat stationary in a siding but as always rule one applies……
The bogie coal wagon is now drying after it’s trip through the Wakefield weathering workshop.
I have now completed the cab for the A3 (I think!).
As mentioned earlier in the thread I have now made the roof removable and following the lead from a gent on the Guild forum I have made the cab doors hinged and removable.
The hinge pins are made from 0.8mm nickel rod with small section of tube soldered on one end and then filed down.
Now for a good clean up and a final check to make sure that nothing is missing before re-visiting the paint shop – The seats will be added when it’s assembled after painting I looked at soldering them in now but if I do I cannot get the backhead in…. (hmm I have been here before!)
All today’s modelling time has been spent putting the transfers on the bogie coal wagon. Unusually these wagons seem to have had four sets of numbers on sides and ends. Thankfully I have quite a few sets of partially used Slaters MR/LMS wagon transfers in stock that I was able get the numbers from. I must admit that I much prefer methfix transfers to pressfix these days. When I first tried them I didn’t really get on with them but by chance I discovered that the recommended 3:1 mix of meths was too strong. I probably use 5 or 5:1 now and find them really user friendly allowing much adjustment to take place before letting them set.
So here it is just awaiting coaling and weathering – which Chris is just about to start on.
The white stuff just visible in the first photo is a piece of the plastic foam that electrical goods come in these days in place of polystyrene.