I also managed to move the NBR Diagram 39B van on quite a way to just needing a roof and couplings.
The brake levers proved to be a little challenging, none of my many Parkside or Slaters spares were long enough. The answer was to laminate a piece of 0.25mm either side of a piece of 0.5mm and leave it over night to dry thoroughly. – in the same manner that I did the W Irons earlier.
I then cut a couple of tapered strips and applied limonene to both sides where I wanted the bends to be (one bend at a time) once the limonene had softened the strips I made the bend with some round nosed pliers. I then used some self locking tweezers as clamps to hold the bends in position while the plastic hardened again.
In between distressing wagons I managed to progress a couple of other projects the first one being the ex GNSR Vacuum Cleaner Wagon. This now has buffers, brakes and a coat of paint on the upper works. The buffers have been borrowed from another kit and the brakes were from the spares box
Last year I picked up several plastic wagon kit’s from the Guild’s Executor and Trustee lists which I collected at the Summer show. Amongst them was a couple of 3 Aitch wagon kits which I bought on ‘spec’ not knowing anything about them. I subsequently built one but decided they were not of the fidelity that I had become accustomed to so I put them in the small adds on several forums. I didn’t get any takers.
So I decided over Easter to built the second and detail them both as condemned wagons. I am quite happy with how they turned out.