I forgot to add a photo of the canvas cover
Although still recovering I managed to get more done on the Kirk BG last weekend.
There was a small moulding fault on one of the sections so I elected to use it in the side that I was cutting out for the ducket. The ducket itself is one of my Silhouette cut examples Oddly I needed to cut a couple of different sizes because the ones that I had left from the last build were slightly small in the hole.
There was another issue with the solebars for the kit which were all twisted as they came. An email from Don to Ian Kirk had some replacements in the post next day. I had already stuck the sides together so it wasn’t worth asking Ian to replace the section with the moulding fault. I just cut the section out squarely and let in a piece of styrene rod. Once dry I filed it to shape (much like they would have repaired damage to a coach in service). – I must take this opportunity to commend Ian for his prompt service.
Three weeks ago I had added the base plates for the bump stops, I added the bump stops themselves on Saturday. After leaving them over night to set I filed them to uniform length using a scrap of 10 thou styrene with a hole in it. I also add the upper hinges but I will leave the lower ones until later because they are a bit vulnerable.
I also worked on detailing the ends – I like to build up as many sub assemblies as I can before putting it together.
First I made a couple of door knobs from some styrene rod.
Then I added them to the doors in the ends along with lamp irons and lighting connectors. I used my ever handy lense tissue to make the canvas tops for the corridor connections.
And finally I detailed up the Dynamos. These are a bit plain as they come and I had initially stuck a H section stem but seeing a 1/32 scratch build of a Pullman coach over on RMweb shamed me into doing something better. – I still need to make the mounting brackets yet. There are two because Don has asked me to build and all third to go with the other two as well.
A decent session at the bench yesterday saw the 2nd NER Birdcage brake well on it’s way.
At the suggestion of a friend I looked at the photo to determine whether there were frames in the windows that I cut in the end.
There isn’t a frame as such on the photo but I decided to try to replicate the etched frame that’s etched in the other end.