Following on from my earlier post , the tender sides are battleship plate thickness. They come pre bent to shape to follow the bulkheads – what a shame the bends were too low
I used my my cheap cooks torch bought from Lidl just before christmas. I have found it’s too hot and uncontrollable for soldering but it’s great for annealing.
However, before you get to the tender sides in the instructions, the next section has you making up the coal chute and coal pusher which went together perfectly.
Finally I popped along to the NRM at York and was able to get on board Duchess of Hamilton and take a comparison photo
For this build the front and rear drivers have the standard 12ba crank pin as provided by Slaters with their wheels. The centre axle has had the 12ba cheese head screw replaced with a 10ba countersunk screw. This is to allow the crank pin bush to be tapped 10ba and an additional bush to be added and again tapped 10ba so that they can be screwed in opposite each other to house both the couple and connecting rods (on this particular kit the extra bush was available because a pair of smaller bushes had been provided for the front axle to ensure clearance for the crossheads).
As well as tapping the crank pin bushes 10ba, I also tap the wheel itself allowing the screw to be tightened and retained.
I must admit for my own builds I tend to replace all my crank pins with 10ba and blacken the wheels but I was told not to for this build.
You can see the difference in screw sizes from the back of the wheel.
I also drilled and tapped the return crank itself but it will be soldered to the bush once I have cut it to the correct length and made sure that the crank is in the right orientation.
My recent lathe purchase has started me thinking about making the most of some of my other tools. I used to do quite a bit of woodworking until we converted our garage and I no longer had the room for many of the woodworking tools so I sold them.
What I kept were, chop saw, Router/router table and a linisher. The Router/router table, until a couple of weeks ago was in my loft so not accessible for regular use and my linisher while slightly more accessible by being under my workbench had only seen the light of day once in the last 5 years.
Prompted by getting something out of the loft I decided to get the Router/router table and the linisher out and take them to the other house where I have a dry brick built garage that’s alarmed. Fast forward to this weekend and I decided to start making use of them so used the linisher to prepare all the partitions for the twin set. Each one needed to be profiles to fit the vacuum formed Kirk roof and it certainly made a much easier job of the 17 or so partitions plus the coach ends.
I reckon what I achieved today would have taken at least a couple of weekend’s work to achieve filing by hand.
I may have mentioned that Chris is having an exhibition of her paintings hosted by the NRM at Locomotion in Shildon this summer.
We have been having dialogue about promoting it and the museum web team have done a fantastic job of adding it to their what’ on pages
After seeing the painted and weathered G5 on Warren’s stand last weekend at Leigh I borrowed it for a photo session this evening.
Warren has done his usual top job of it and I hope the photos do it justice.