More progress last night. Despite starting quite late I managed to get the two coal space sides in place.
I had anticipated that one of them may not fit very well and might leave a gap that would in fairness be hidden by the coal but I was pleasantly surprised when after a little tweaking with pliers and a rub of some abrasive paper it went into place as it should. Just the details and coal rails to add now.
I am not sure why but I chose to use shiny sinks to clean it up after I finished instead of my usual Bar Keepers Friend and it turned all the solder black making it look to be worse than it is.
Last Thursday evening I made much progress on the tender for the J6.
The coal plate is now in as is the front section of the tender.
There is still a goodly amount of cleaning up to do and the sides of the coal space are still to solder in but I feel that I have broken it’s back now.
And then there were two, I successfully made the second grill last night so that’s a bit of a relief.
I am still awaiting some of the replacement bits for the chassis – they were ordered later after my customer decided that he would like the chassis improved too.
Having made the second grill for the N7 I then picked up the tender front for the J6 and made the last small piece to get the main structure of the tender front ready for fitting and final details.
One of the more difficult aspects of the refurbishment of the N7 in my mind was the half height coal bars on the rear windows of the cab and I had been wracking my brains as to the best method of drilling the rear of the cab in situ to get the holes both in a line and equally spaced while not being able to get the drill bit at 90 degrees to the workpiece.
At the same time I was also struggling from the photos that I had to work out just how many bars there are as luck would have it a bit of web surfing turned up a partial shot of the back of the cab back of the preserved engine and this a is a further snip of that showing my get out of jail free card
This meant that I could make them off the loco and fit them as a single unit. Some time later making best use of the Proxxon mini drill and coordinate table, had me with two pairs of strips each with 9 x 0.5mm holes 1.2mm apart. The eagle eyed will also note that I have put additional holes in each end for the retaining bolts.
Before packing it in for the night I had the first one soldered up ready for fitting.
I just need to do the other and then I think that I have broken the back of the difficult bits so I will return to the J6 until the rest of the parts orders arrive.