Cattle wagons roll…

While I haven’t had much to post recently I have been beavering away at a couple of projects the first of them being a couple of Parkside LNER Fitted Cattle wagons. One of them I built some time ago but I recently built another and I have then made a start on weathering them.

This is the inside of one of them as it was before I added a few more rust stains around the blot heads – I have tried to go for a look of regular scrubbing of the inside. Scrubbed wood is something that I am very familiar with because in a former life I was a butcher and scrubbing the wooden cutting block was a daily feature of my work. This particular wagon is the one that I did originally and it was painted with Halfords Red Oxide primer and satin varnished before adding the transfers
IMG_6161

For completeness this is the second recently built one which was painted with Vallejo Game Color Dark Fleshtone and again satin varnished before the transfers.
IMG_6023IMG_6256 IMG_6261 IMG_6260 IMG_6259 IMG_6258 IMG_6257

I have used two differing techniques on the exteriors with these – the first one was made grubby and work stained using a mixture of Vallejo black, Flat Earth and Dark Sea Grey which was painted on and then cut back with meths.

The second had a couple of wash coats of dark fleshtone, german orange and cream to lighten and fade the base colour before applying the mix above for the grubby in service look.
I still need to paint the roofs and sort out couplings for one of them – and fill them with cattle of course.