David Andrews Princess, Turning all the way around.

Thanks Andy,
This week has mainly been more lathe work. After a suggestion elsewhere I remade the two front crank pin bearings in steel and then because I had worked out a technique to make them much finer I remade bearings for the other wheels as well. Hopefully my first efforts will coming somewhere for something.

David Andrews Princess 8BA bearings
David Andrews Princess 8BA bearings

With those done to my satisfaction I turned back to the chassis and the cylinders/motion brackets. More on the latter in another post but first the cylinders.
I used the David Andrews Slidebar/cross heads for the inside motion and the LG Miniatures pair that I will use for the outside don’t come with the cylinder back plate. 
Timing being perfect, just this week I acquired some assorted thickness Nickel Silver bar ends. They weren’t cheap overall, but worked out at about half the price that I would pay from my regular supplier, whose prices I am happy with..

David Andrews Princess – Turned Cylinder fittings

Then I turned (if you will pardon the pun) to the fronts of the cylinders. The castings with the kit are nicely detailed but sadly both the cover plates and valve guides are oval, presumably as a result of shrinkage in the casting process.

David Andrews Princess – Turned Cylinder fittings
David Andrews Princess – Turned Cylinder fittings
David Andrews Princess – Turned Cylinder fittings
David Andrews Princess – Turned Cylinder fittings

They still need a few more details adding before I solder them to the cylinders fronts but I am happy with them so far. There is a gent, whom I have met a couple of times. Who posts superb builds over on RM Web under the username of Jazz. His tag line in his signature is, “Learning by doing” and I couldn’t agree more with the statement.  I have learned a great deal this week while twiddling the knobs on my lathe…