More work on the workshop has reduced modelling time somewhat but a little progress has been made on the brake vans. A lot of progress has been made on the workshop with my spray booth now fitted and vented externally and for the first time my Mini Formit (guillotine/folder/rolling bars) are permanently bolted to the bench and following Pete’s post I had another look at the alignment of the blade and anvil and had a lightbulb moment. Unseen previously, underneath the front edge of the anvil are two adjustment screws which push the anvil against the blade. Once I slackened the retaining screws and then used the adjustment screws the blade now sits tight against the anvil and it will happily cut shim so although I haven’t tested it yet it should cut the 10 thou nickel and brass sheets that it previously just bent down between anvil and blade. To help with the location of the roofs I cut a strip of brass sheet (scrap etch) and then curved and scored it to represent the planking above the verandas. These were soldered to the underside of the roofs.
Next the roofs were covered in lense cleaning tissue to represent the canvas and finally the chimneys soldered on.
It has taken going on for 6 hours to get the step boards assembled. I can see why Jim says that this is not an afternoon build. Even taking in to account that I am doing two at once, I reckon that it would take a long weekend at least, to build one of these.
A couple of good sessions in the workshop has seen the bodies assembled and I was going to say complete but I just remembered the small cover plates that fit where the side laps were removed are still to fit.
Last night I unsoldered the errant end and soldered it on at the right end and then made up the second body. This morning I added the end platforms before looking at fitting the doors.
Although I had discussed the suggestion of adding opening doors I initially planned to solder at least some of them on. When it came to it, I did manage to get them soldered on one end but getting them in the right position was quite difficult and because they are laminated from two full thickness pieces they took a lot of heat from the microflame to get them the solder to melt and I wasn’t really happy with them.
My main concern with making opening doors was how to get the pin in to retain them because the doors fit tight under the strip that runs across the veranda end which represents the timber framing. I thought about drilling a hole in the strip to insert the pin from the top but it was too close to the upright and would have been hard work so I inserted it from the bottom and soldered it in. It does mean that I can’t take them off for painting but it was the only way to get them on.
Once I had the hang of how to do it I had the rest done in a couple of hours.
Just to prove that they do indeed open I took a short video. https://youtu.be/-Xo54fV_cp8
Yesterday I managed to get the cabin ends detailed ready for assembly to the body.
Although not discernable on the photos that I have due to there position and being in shadow. The drawing that Jim includes with the kit has a notation that the vents above the doors were planked over later in life. What I am not sure about it whether the planking was flush with the ends or that the vents were literally planked over. I have chosen to do the latter using some thin scrap etch.
Although I still have the small panels to add to the sides where the fixed side lamps were removed later in life. I cracked on with the veranda ends and managed to get them ready for fitting to the body. Next up is the ends of the cabin and all the safety bars over the windows. Although since my order of brass angle for the step boards on the LNER van has arrived from Barry at Metalsmith I may get the step boards prepared for fitting.
I made a small start on these while the interior parts for the LNER van was cutting on the Silhouette and I finally have them at a point where it was worth taking some photos
They are much more involved than I originally envisaged with a good number of overlaid parts. What you see above is the result of more than 8 hours work. Admittedly that is for two of them.
For anyone building these a tip is to take some time over the bending of the ducket fronts. Getting the basic shape was fairly simple. But taking extra time to get them to fit without having to apply any pressure paid dividends when it came to soldering them on.
These are destined for the small ads so now I need to decide on how I intend to finish them. Personally I would like to do one LSWR version (so I can add the extra details that were removed later in it’s life) and a BR version. But I suspect that in terms of being attractive to a wider range of buyers the BR version will have most appeal.
Besides using them to generate funds I am also using these to ensure that I can still solder etc and work okay in metal before returning to building things for other people. My fingers are mostly back to normal after my mishap with the mower but there are some jobs such as driling with a pin vice that I am finding difficult at the minute. Hopefully that will improve with time and use.