Further progress on the tender has seen the basics of the body
So far, the only issues have been some bowing of the half-etched
sheets which has taken a bit of work to get them soldered up straight. The
worst being the rear sheets with the steps and the coal door.
In the end I added a second sheet of 10thou nickel to back
off the coal door.
With the brake hanger height sorted it was time to fit them.
Because the wheels are on telescopic axles, they need much more wiggle room to
be removable than the Slaters et al, types. It’s actually quite surprising how
little room you need to remove a Slaters wheel.
The lack of space around the brakes meant that for the
wheels to be removable the brakes need to be removable too. I did this by
adding a collar from microbore tube over the .9mm rods that the brakes hang from
on the frames. And at the moment the cross shaft at the front of the tender is
removable but I am sure that if this were fixed the brakes would pivot out of
the way to get the wheels out.
Just to prove that they are removable.
I also made the two quite hefty support rods for the water
Plus, a Blue Peter moment in that here’s one I did earlier.
I fitted the brake cylinder that I turned when I first got the Unimat 3.
A few general shots of the inner chassis, for no other reason than I got a bit carried away with the camera.
The next interesting bit of the build was when I came to look at fitting the brakes. The kit provides etched brakes for the tender in the usual dual layer fashion. I had some nice casting from the Hobby Horse Reynolds range. They were the ones that I was drilling out when I showed my use of pliers to clamp them for drilling a short while ago. When I put some rods through the chassis in the holes provided and dry fitted the Reynolds castings to the stretchers and pull rod frame they wouldn’t fit because they were not long enough. After a bit of head scratching I checked the drawing and sure enough they are to scale length. However when I checked them again the etched ones provided it all made sense.
The answer to this little dilemma was to re-drill the holes in the frames 1mm lower down. There was just enough frame depth to do this without having to resort to adding hanger brackets.
When I started on the brake pull rods and fitting the water
scoop, I quickly realised that the kit is very lacking in detail underneath the
After being kindly supplied a drawing that showed the detail
of the inner frames of the tender, I started to add some additional details. My
spares box yielded a couple of balance weights which I added to the linkages
supplied in the kit. Not perfect but better than nothing. This is still a work
As you can see from the photos it does all move at the
minute but I may need to solder it solid depending on how far I can go with the
remaining linkages and how controllable they are.
I also started work on the brake linkages adding a bit of 3D detail to the joints using scrap etch and brass rod.
It’s time for another weekend project to break cover. Another of my outstanding jobs is the build of a David Andrews LMS Princess Pacific kit. The Loco is to be 6206 Princess Marie Louise depicted in the late 1930’s. I was pleasantly surprised upon examining the box contents, that the gent that I am building it for had ordered all nickel etches. 6206 was slightly unusual in that for much of her life she was attached to a tender equipped with a coal pusher. The additional parts for this have been supplied by Finney7 from their Duchess tender. The box also contains a lot of additional extra castings to upgrade the kit parts.
The wheels are Alan Harris castings turned by the gent that I am building it for.