LNER Brake Van Stove

Moving swiftly along from the brake standard modifications. You may recall that some time ago I made a stove for the brake van using my Silhouette cutter. Although I proved it was possible, it was extremely fiddly to assemble and I certainly wouldn’t want to be doing a lot of them.

It’s also a perfect candidate for 3D printing so yesterday morning (after amending the brake standard files) I started to draw up the stove.

It has proved to be my most ambitious and ultimately satisfying design project to date.

My apologies for the image overload but I am delighted at how well it has turned out.

More on from the 3D Workbench

After Mike Trice kindly pointed out that I have missed the bolt heads from the base of the brake standards I made some amendments and here are the revised entities.

I also changed the base of the threaded rod so that it will (hopefully) print a bit easier.

More 3D drawing – LNER Brake Standard

The recent hot weather has somewhat killed my enthusiasm for actual model making so instead I have been drawing up a few more bits and pieces. Some of them are still work in progress but I finished an LNER Brake standard last night.

I have long wished for a correct LNER brake standard casting so now assuming that it prints okay my wish should be fulfilled.

Ramsbottom Safety valves part II

This is the final version. it was a bit of a challenge to get all the lever elements constrained so that I could extrude it but I got there in the end.

By turning different elements off as in the photo I can create separate STL files for just the lever, the complete valves without the cover or complete with the cover.

More 3D drawing adventures

At the risk of boring people with my new found skill I have drawn up a couple more items yesterday.
First was a much simpler task than the chimneys that I have drawn so far, this time a dome for the D2.

Then at a friend’s suggestion I had a go at the GNR version of the Ramsbottom safety valves.

I had got this far when Chris looked over my shoulder and said “it looks good but it doesn’t look right” she was of course correct the springs should be on the lever that I hadn’t drawn yet not the valve stems…
To be continued…

A second attempt nearly ended in tears!

The D2 chimney must have been beginners luck. The next one took me two days of fighting to get it finished. Despite the frustrations I have learned much from the experience (I am a great believer that mistakes and things going wrong are far better teachers than when things go swimmingly).

This chimney is for non condensing C12’s and J52’s. According to the drawing, the condensing versions were fitted with shorter but otherwise similar profile chimneys. I feel that I have done a better job of this one and it’s a bit finer in shape/detail.


LNER D2 Chimney a venture into 3D drawing

I am not sure whether it’s beginners luck but further sessions today have added a tube under the centre of the flare to help locate the chimney in the smokebox and the rivets around the rim. I still haven’t got it completely hollow but I will perhaps try to achieve that on the next one.