Another joint effort between me and my good lady is this Salt Wagon. It was built from one of the unlettered Slaters kits and it’s another that has sat for quite some time unfinished – I am not sure why really….
I finished of the build and having looked at POW sides for transfers we liked the Mangers colour scheme I also fancied the idea of a very faded and worn look to the wagon. Working towards this I still hadn’t ordered the transfers but I painted the wagon green using Railmatch Doncaster green.
Using the air brush and varying the amount that I sprayed on I got a head start on the colour variations that I was looking for.
I had also ordered some transfer paper in transparent and white with a view to making my own transfers for boiler bands and the floor cloth wagon. To cut a long story short we decided to have a go at making our own Mangers transfers and after a bit of playing about in Microsoft word with various font Chris came up with these printed onto clear laser paper (I printed a full sheet in case I had problems).
They were a bit of a challenge to get them to lay down over the hinges and straps (I will buy some Microsol for another set). By applying them over the varying shades on the wagon and with them being printed on clear decal film they further “faded” without too much effort. Chris then did some more weathering to the whole wagon ending up with this which is just what I hoped for but wasn’t it could be achieved.
In the end up I only make a muck up of one set of transfers – being a bit heavy handed, so I have 3 spare sets should I happen across any more salt wagon kits.
The roof canvas was done with some blackout curtain liner which make a reasonable representation of canvas.