David Andrews Princess, Cleaning up the Tender Tank vet castings

Looking to start adding as much as I could details wise, before assembling the main components. I dry fitted the tank filler and the vent pipe castings on the tank top plate. Although the latter are generally not bad castings, when I opened out the etched holes, they both sat lopsided. I attempted to tidy them up using a square needle file but wasn’t able to correct the lean.

David Andrews Princess – Tender vent castings

I decided to have a go at turning them, but gripping them to turn them in the lathe was going to prove interesting. So, I took a leaf out of the late David Smith (DLOS)’s book, and made a split collet from a length of aluminium rod.

I had recently watched a YouTube video of someone doing just that and the guy who made the video had left a collar on his split collet to make it easier to get it in and out of the lathe collet.

Split Collet
Split Collet

This shot shows how the casting sits in the split collet.

Split Collet with casting in situ

You can see in the shot below how lopsided the base was. The rim of the base plate was so thin that I dare not turn too much off or I would have ended up having to turn a collar to replace it. Which was plan B if I hadn’t been able to get the existing base plate to sit flat

Casting after turning to clean up the base and make it sit flat.

Thankfully I got away with it and didn’t need to resort to plan B.

David Andrews Princess – Tender vent castings sitting down properly