David Andrews Princess Royal – Boiler Round 3

Before taking more off the middle splashers, I eased the cut outs and bottom of the boiler at the firebox end to get it to sit better against the front of the firebox it didn’t need much but it seemed to help. Then I removed some more from the middle splashers

David Andrews Princess Royal – Still working on levelling the boiler
David Andrews Princess Royal – Still working on levelling the boiler

and I also milled some more off the smokebox saddle to reduce its height. I have had off forum discussions with a couple of people who have built these and both said that they had to scratch build the front saddle as they couldn’t get the casting to sit low enough. Just as a precaution I knocked one up from an offcut of 0.7mm nickel.

David Andrews Princess Royal – Scratch Built Saddle

At this point the scratch built one needs shortening.

I took a couple of photos with the replacement in place to see how it fit.

David Andrews Princess Royal – Still working on levelling the boiler
David Andrews Princess Royal – Still working on levelling the boiler

And finally for last night I took a couple more after trimming back the splashers a bit more and reducing the height of the saddle casting again – it’s getting there.

David Andrews Princess Royal – Still working on levelling the boiler
David Andrews Princess Royal – Still working on levelling the boiler