I made a little more progress on the fish truck last Wednesday and Thursday evenings. First I made up the brake shoes strangely there are eight brakes each consisting of a centre shoe with arm and then twelve etched outer shoes – four short to add one each side. Initially I decided to add one to each shoe and a second to the four shoes that would fit at each end. Having done this I noticed that the shape of the scrap etch that the shoes came out of would allow me to add a plain inner one to the four inner shoes with a bit of filing to shape.
I also realised that there were no brake yokes included in the kit – luckily my spares drawer yielded some nice cast ones from Laurie Griffin.
The middle shoe has the supplied etch both sides, the right hand one shows the plain one made from etch waste and the left one shows the same but with a semi circle scored in to represent the edge of the shoe itself – I am not sure whether it will survive painting but for the few seconds it took to do there is nothing lost of it disappears.
Lastly I made up the side door runners.