Raising the Standards

I managed a little more on the internals for the V4 brake van last night.
Being, by inclination and birth, a tight fisted Yorkshire man. I don’t throw much away, and sometime ago I bought a thousand 10ba brass CS screws. The problem was that when I bought them they only had them in 1 1/2″ lengths. This means that most of them that I have used so far, have needed cutting down. This has resulted in me having a few 1″ lengths of 10ba studding.
Fast forward to my cleaning up one of Slaters’ very nice cast Brake Standards for the V4 and I clumsily broke off the the spigot for attaching it to the floor. At first I was just going to solder it to the brass floor and be done with it but then I thought that having the floor removable for as long as possible would help with painting the inside.
So I drilled out the base where the spigot had been and soldered in a length of the aforementioned stud. A little of the solder wicked up the thread but a quick run down the thread with a 10ba die soon sorted that.
I then thought that with a bit of filing I could use a 10ba nut with some scrap etch to represent the lever for the brake cross shaft and although turning the handle doesn’t actuate the brakes it still looks the part.
It wasn’t a great leap to think that I may as well do the same with the stove to make it removable too.

Modified Slaters Brake Standard and Guard’s Stove

Modified Slaters Brake Standard and Guard’s Stove