In between messing about getting my DCC working I have made further progress on the two NER Brake vans. I have been quite impressed that I have managed to add almost all the detail to sub assemblies before making up the main units and adding the solebars. The only things to add to the upper bodies are some corner plates that fold around the corners, some handrails that also go around the ends, the cast end posts and the lower footboards which I need the W Irons in place before I can cut the supports to final length.
The roof is still loose. Jim recommends leaving it loose to glaze and making it clip on afterwards I need to explore how I can do this yet.
Although I have the birdcage for the second one assembled it’s not soldered to the roof yet.
Paul Gallon over on RMweb kindly reminded me that the example that I am trying to reproduce with this one also had windows in the birdcage end.
In the photo above you can seem my error. I cut out the windows using those at the other end as a template but didn’t think about the fact the the side duckets have sides which protrude into the van internally and that the sides nearest the end windows partially obscure it. – Why is it that you never notice these things until you have made nice job of soldering the body together, made much more difficult by the fact that on this end I couldn’t get to the inside so I had to solder it from the outside and clean up.