Last night, the procrastination was over and I got on with removing the end from the other van.
Like a lot of things that you worry yourself about it was really quiet an easy job in the end.
Using a few aluminium hair grips and self locking tweezers as heat sinks for the steps and lamp irons I managed to get the end off, remove the offending bits of metal (with a combination of piercing saw/ rotary sanding drum and a cylindrical burr grinder in the dremel finished off with files) and subsequently soldered back on without anything coming adrift, Yeay!!!
And for completeness these are the photos of progress on the other van that I forgot to post last night….