Gladiator B16-1 – Tender Flares and Coal Shute

Sunday afternoon saw the tender overlays added to the sides and rear of the tender. This wasn’t quite as smooth as I had hoped and I ended up having to run over it with the iron to get them to sit flat which meant quite a bit of cleaning up.

The original plan was to tin both sides and use the micro flame but I just couldn’t get it to stick for some reason. The other issue was that despite my best efforts otherwise by bending them into all sorts of shapes the aluminium clips, bent the flares in places meaning some remedial work.

Gladiator B16-1 – Tender Flares and Coal Shute

Gladiator B16-1 – Tender Flares and Coal Shute

As you can see I still have some cleaning up to do, but I don’t plan to clean up the inside of the flares until I have the tender top in place.

I am not sure whether it was me that got the overlay slightly out of line (it is wider than required so that you can file it back to get a crisp edge) or that the etched hole was slightly out of line but I will have to open the slot a bit to fit the rear lamp iron.

Next up I made a start on the tender top and coal chute. I want to get this fitted before attempting to make the corners of the tender flares from solder.

These all went pretty much as planned but there is a sight gap that I will need to fill. Again I am not sure whether it was my folding or the etch that’s slightly out but it’s an easy thing to sort.

Gladiator B16-1 – Tender Flares and Coal Shute

Gladiator B16-1 – Tender Flares and Coal Shute

Gladiator B16-1 – Tender Flares and Coal Shute

I haven’t done any cleaning up on this as I did it last thing last night and I was back to work this morning so couldn’t be too late to bed. – The redness is from using the microflame to solder the seams. It washes of easily enough with some bar keepers friend.