During last week I took a little time out on a couple of evenings to get the top coat of paint on ready for transfers.
A more knowledgeable gent than I also pointed out that I had made an error with one of the brake linkages so I will have a look at sorting that.
I then blackened the buffers and added a decent set of 3 link couplings.
To blacken the buffer shanks I heated then to cherry red with the microflame and dunked them in a small pot of oil (I used 3 in 1 but apparently any oil even cooking oil will do the job). When cool take them out and wrap in kitchen paper to soak up all the oil and leave until the next day when they are ready for fitting – Please note this method is only any good for steel buffer heads