LSWR Brake Vans part 6

Last night I unsoldered the errant end and soldered it on at the right end and then made up the second body.
This morning I added the end platforms before looking at fitting the doors.

Veranda detail soldered in


Although I had discussed the suggestion of adding opening doors I initially planned to solder at least some of them on. When it came to it, I did manage to get them soldered on one end but getting them in the right position was quite difficult and because they are laminated from two full thickness pieces they took a lot of heat from the microflame to get them the solder to melt and I wasn’t really happy with them.

LSWR Brake Van opening doors


My main concern with making opening doors was how to get the pin in to retain them because the doors fit tight under the strip that runs across the veranda end which represents the timber framing. I thought about drilling a hole in the strip to insert the pin from the top but it was too close to the upright and would have been hard work so I inserted it from the bottom and soldered it in. It does mean that I can’t take them off for painting but it was the only way to get them on. 

LSWR Brake Van opening doors
LSWR Brake Van opening doors
LSWR Brake Van opening doors


Once I had the hang of how to do it I had the rest done in a couple of hours.


LSWR Brake Van opening doors

Just to prove that they do indeed open I took a short video.
https://youtu.be/-Xo54fV_cp8