This is the last of the wagons that I have attempted any weathering on so far.
Again from the Parkside stable, one of their very early kits – The NBR 8 ton covered van that featured on the workbench previously.
And after a few ‘years’ in service:
In between the weathering projects another couple of shelf queens have reached completion.
First up is the GWR Horsebox that I started some time ago followed by an LMS Brake van. Both are from the Parkside stable and make up into nice models, albeit that the steps are quite vulnerable on the brake van – they have been stuck back on at least three times….
The groom is modified from a Slaters seated figure – I am not really sure what he was meant to be but I filed his hat to represent a flat cap.
I have left the roof loose so that I can get in to weather the insides of the verandas.
In between my efforts at weathering stock I have still been beavering away lining, and glazing the cab.
Here are a few cruel close ups. There are still a few smudges of white that I need to remove. But this one is going to be weathered not ex works so any blemishes will blend in.
Hopefully the transfers will go on the cab and tender over the weekend…..
I made a start on another wagon last night and made a discovery that I thought worth sharing.
When using enamels I am aware of and have used the technique of using a cotton bud soaked in white spirit to remove unwanted enamel paint – as long as it hasn’t been on too long. I have seen examples of the technique used in weathering.
What I didn’t know or appreciate until last night was that you can do something similar with acrylics by using a cotton bud soaked in meths.
These are a few shots of the wagon that I am now working on that I used the technique on last night.
It has quite some way to go but I feel that I have a bit more freedom to experiment knowing that even when it’s gone on quite thick and had some drying time it’s still maneuverable.
After developing my techniques on the LMS van I started on an LNER Plate wagon another Parkside kit that graced the pages earlier.
That’s all for now but I will probably start on another tonight in between other jobs.
One step forward and three back. Having stripped and repainted the cab, I initially started to spray the exterior with Klear to get a glossy surface to line onto. It promptly ran to the bottom and sat there as a ridge Grrrr!
So being the diligent soul that I am I had read the back of the bottle so knew that you can remove Klear with ammonia. Did any of my local shops stock ammonia these days? – Did they chuff!!! Chris ended up ordering some from Amazon for me..
Anyway, it duly arrived and I eagerly painted some on and….. nothing happened!!!
DOH, so I read the instructions = dilute it 3:1 apply and then let it dry for 5 minutes. When dry scrub off with warm soapy water and surprise surprise a Ronseal moment – it did what it said on the tin.
Then onto plan B I tested letting gloss varnish down using tamyia thinners using a tin can and it works. so the next step was to carfully apply some thin coats to get a nice glossy surface to line onto.
Being as happy as I am going to get with this – it will need a bit of weathering to hide some blemishes I think…… I thought about painting the inside of the cab and painting the cab floor as weathered planks. My success with this was what got me started on weathering the Midland wagon.
I wasn’t too concerned about the line between the stone and black being dead straight as the cab fittings break it up anyway.
All the painting has been done with a mixture of Anitas Acrylics and Vallejo Acrylics
That’s enough of a preamble here are the photos